logo logo

Poll Shows Majority Get Good Service

il-3A majority of respondents to a new independent Wise Insurance Quotes poll say they received good service from their insurance companies when they filed a claim for losses or damage, despite thousands of lawsuits that have been filed against the industry.

A series of lawsuits have been filed against insurance companies in the last decade stemming from losses suffered by thousands of customers, many of whom have lost their homes in disasters and feel their insurance companies dealt with them unfairly.

The poll found that 57% were satisfied with their carriers. The other 43% said they were not satisfied with the outcome of their claims. The online poll was taken over the past week, ending late Tuesday. Wise Insurance Quotes.com is an independent news website not directly associated with any insurance company. The website’s owners obtain fees from insurance firms regardless of whether or not consumers purchase insurance through the site.

Insurance firms have been sued by thousands of policy holders in recent years for refusing to pay claims as a result of natural disasters, including hurricane damage in the southeast, tornado destruction in the Midwest and fires in California.

Public Service Enterprise Group Inc., the largest utility in New Jersey, filed a lawsuit against 11 insurers, including the giant American International Group Inc., over losses related to Hurricane Sandy, which hit the New York City region last October.

The utility suffered storm damage to its facilities in excess of $426-million, but insurance companies have refused to pay more than $50-million.  Homeowners are still unable to re-construct thousands of homes in Louisiana and Mississippi as a result of Hurricane Katrina losses.

Lawsuits over damages are still hung-up in federal courts for tens of thousands of consumers, who are fighting to obtain proceeds from insurance companies over natural disasters and other losses against insurance companies in recent years.

bottom